Re: cannot add printers w/ CUPS

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 07:34:46PM -0800, Kurt Lieber wrote:
| On Tuesday 01 January 2002 07:15 pm, dman wrote:
|
| > Are you using devfs?  (if you don't know, then you aren't)
|
| nope -- just plain ext2

:-).  devfs is a magic, non-existant, filesystem, similar to /proc.

| > Do you
| > have the 'lp' kernel module loaded?  Does
| >     echo  "hello world" >> /dev/lp0
| > cause anything to happen?
|
| I don't know if I have the lp kernel module loaded.  (If I do, it's compiled
| into the kernel -- lsmod doesn't show anything lp-related)
|
| echo  "hello world" >> /dev/lp0
|
| results in:
|
| bash: /dev/lp0: No such device

Ok, you're missing printer support in the kernel.
Can you "modprobe lp"?
Did you compile the printer support? (CONFIG_PRINTER)

Once you get the echo command to work, then CUPS should be no trouble.

HTH,
-D

--

Commit to the Lord whatever you do,