cannot add printers w/ CUPS

Just installed cupsys and related packages and am trying to add my first
printer, an HP LaserJet 6L.

I've tried using the PPDs available through linuxprinting.org as well as the
generic laserjet.ppd included with CUPS.

Nothing seems to work -- here is the command syntax I'm using, as well as the
error message I always get: (beware line wrapping)

M3:/usr/share/cups/model#  lpadmin -p laserjet -m laserjet.ppd -v
parallel:/dev/lp0 -E
lpadmin: add-printer failed: client-error-not-possible

Any ideas?

--kurt