Re: Exim and frozen error mails

Thus spake Christopher Wolf:
> My exim tends to gather frozen messages caused when a fake email address
> tries to deliver to a no-longer existing email address on my domain.  It
> generates an error response saying that user does not exist, but it cannot
> deliver the error to the fake user nor the intended address on my server,
> so it just freezes the message.
>
> Is there any way to get it to just throw these away, even if it's just
> after some amount of time?
       A message remains in the spool directory until it is  com­
       pletely  delivered  to  its  recipients  or  to  an  error
       address, or until it is deleted by an administrator or  by
       the user who originally created it. In cases when delivery
       cannot proceed - for example, when a message  can  neither
       be delivered to its recipients nor returned to its sender,
       the message is marked 'frozen' on the spool, and  no  more
       deliveries  are attempted. The administrator can thaw such
       messages when the problem has been corrected, and can also
       freeze individual messages by hand if necessary.
exim -bp will list queue
exim -Mrm <message-id> will clear frozen messages
man exim for more - long but well worth the read.
HTH,
Steve
--
Never be afraid to tell the world who you are.
		-- Anonymous