Re: Tarball conversion

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 11:25:52AM -0800, Paul A. Thomas wrote:
| > The format is a "gzipped tarball" (gzip is a different format and
| > algorithm than zip).  Both winzip and power archiver can open gzipped
| > and tarred files without any trouble.  Once opened, I think the
| > documents are in HTML format, but I'm not certain.
|
| I was able to get the files using Winzip, however of the 92 files within
| the zip file most of the information seems to be in EPS and SGML format,
| which windows of course can not identify at this time.

EPS is "Encapsulated PostScript".  You should be able to view them
with ghostview (or gview32 or whatever the executable is called on
windows).

SGML is a plain-text markup language for writing the documentation it.
They actually follow the DocBook conventions.  Use $EDITOR for viewing
them.

| What strikes me as funny is that the site in question
| (http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/) seems sincere in it efforts to help
| new Debian users, however those of us running a Windows environment can
| not read the documents they offer which would help us get away from the
| problems inherent in the Windows lifestyle ( grinding your teeth,
| pulling your hair out, punching your desk or wall, etc ) .. sigh  <g>
|
| Thanks for the tip.

On that site I see :

~~~~~~~~~~~~
     |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
     |  Release files                                                         |
     |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
     |               |    The complete    |        |           |              |
     |   Newbiedoc   |     Newbiedoc      |        |           | Downloadable |
     | Release 0.3.0 |  documentation in  |        |           |   tarball    |
     |               |    HTML format.    |        |           |              |
     |               |   Version 0.3.0    |        |           |              |
     |---------------+--------------------+--------+-----------+--------------|
     |   Newbiedoc   |   Newbiedoc tips   |        |           | Downloadable |
     | Fortune Tips  |    formatted as    |        |           |   tarball    |
     |      1.0      |  Fortune cookies   |        |           |              |
     |---------------+--------------------+--------+-----------+--------------|
     |               |    The complete    |        |           |              |
     |   Newbiedoc   |     Newbiedoc      |        |           | Downloadable |
     | Release 0.3.0 |  documentation in  |        |           |   tarball    |
     |               | PostScript format. |        |           |              |
     |               |   Version 0.3.0    |        |           |              |
     |---------------+--------------------+--------+-----------+--------------|
     |               |    The complete    |        |           |              |
     |   Newbiedoc   |     Newbiedoc      |        |           | Downloadable |
     | Release 0.3.0 |   documentation    |        |           |   tarball    |
     |               |  source in SGML.   |        |           |              |
     |               |   Version 0.3.0    |        |           |              |
     |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
~~~~~~~~~~~~

so you have the choice of formats to get the documentation.  Given
that you're still in windows (and you want to view the docs on-line) I
recommend the HTML format :
    http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tarballs/newbiedoc-html-0.3.0.tar.gz

They also have the HTML docs available directly on their web server so
you can browse them without downloading a tarball.

HTH,
-D

--

Better a little with righteousness