Re: Debian Potato 2.2r4 questions

On 27 Dec 2001, Penguin wrote:

> I see in the lists of distributors of Debian CD sets that most are CD-R
> copies, but I'm looking for a boxed set with printed manual. Does such a
> distribution exist that I can buy in Australia? Or do I need to buy a book
> and a CD-R set to get that kind of kit. What is the best Debian book that
> starts from the beginning with an overview of everything, like the old huge
> Dr Linux book (all LDP docs printed), and what is the best book for Debian
> GNU/Linux networking and security?

There doesn't seem to be much by way of packaged box sets and published
books for Debian. I just burned the three official binary Potato cds after
downloading it off the web. Then I printed off some documentation off the
web. There are several books covering installation and basic configuration
of Debian on the web. This is enough to get you started. Try, for example,
Dwarfs Guide, and there are official installation instructions at the
Debian web site. And there are some others. If you want details about what
I used send me an email. I didn't know anything about Debian when I
started using it this summer and managed fine. I also found
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/ quite useful. And of course for more
general Linux stuff look to the Linux Documentation Project.

> Also, with Debian Potato 2.2r4, will this support my Nvidia GeForce II MX400
> 64MB video card? It's a USB card. I need XFree86 4.0.1 or better for the
> Nvidia drivers on their website. What else do I need apart from this, and do
> I need to do anything special to get X running?

Sounds like you should go to testing. I just installed drivers for an
Nvidia card (Nvidia Vanta) yesterday. I think the same drivers support the
Geoforce, but check at the Nvidia web site. It was quite straightforward,
and the driver came with clear and simple instructions that at least for
me worked fine. Personally, I just needed to slightly modify my
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4, which I first created using the default nv drivers.
The Nvidia drivers are better, though.

You will need to compile a kernel module for the card to use with the
driver. I would recommend that you recompile your kernel while doing so.
There is a nice guide by Jesse Goerz on http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/
that will get you started on compiling the kernel the Debian way. Also
look at the documentation by Manoj Srivastava in the kernel-package
package, particularly the main README and README.modules. Also note that
most kernel module sources come as Debian packages, which makes your life
easier. This includes the nvidia drivers, though for some reason
(presumably license reasons) the drivers are not included in the package
and have to be downloaded off the net using wget.

> I also have a NetComm Roadster II 56K external Parallel/Serial modem, and a
> Sony CD-RW. Will these work at all? How do I manually configure a modem
> dialup interface, and how do I bring it up and down with just a shell, ie not
> with the icons on the Gnome desktop.

I use wvdial/wvdialconf to configure modems. It is quite easy.

> Also, can Debian be 'secure out the box?' What is Progeny? Is it after Woody
> or before Potato? Is Woody ready for general use? I mean, is it so unstable
> that I couldn't profit from using it, even if it has some imperfections? It
> is surely better than RedHat.

I think Debian tends to be more secure out of the box than Redhat and
other commercial distributions, since it enables less services by default,
though I have heard the commercial distributions are changing in this
respect.

I'm currently using Woody, which seems quite stable. I was a bit nervous
about using it, however it seems Ok. I upgraded from Potato. If you are
just beginning with Debian you might want to start with Potato and upgrade
to woody when you feel more comfortable.

I think Woody is a better bet than Progeny. Stick with mainstream Debian;
just my opinion. Of course I assume you are aware that Progeny are no
longer developing their distribution, which make it an even more
compelling reason. To answer your question, Progeny is/was an offshoot of
the main Debian distribution, but is probably already out of date.

                              Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.