Re: software install problems

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:00:09AM -0500, Phil Beder wrote:
> At 11:34 PM 12/26/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 11:18:31PM -0500, Phil Beder wrote:
> >| Hello all,
> >| I'm having trouble installing software.  I have downloaded Gimp, Netscape,
> >| Mozilla and others and seem to have compatibility problems with the version
> >| of Debian I'm running.  I thought I had 2.1.1, but in fact it returns Ver
> >| 2.0.36 when issued the uname -a command.

Perhaps 2.1.1 is the Debian version (Slink R1?), and 2.0.36 is the
kernel version that came with Debian 2.1.1?

> >| When I tried to install Netscape and Mozilla I got an error message:
> >| "error loading shared libraries   libgtk-1.2.so.: cannot open shared object
> >| file: No such file or directory"
> >| (I know the libgtk file on my machine is different, probably older)
> >
> >apt-get install libgtk1.2
> Tried this and got warnings "Couldn't stat source package list http:// . . .
> Dont have pppconfig installed correctly yet,  (was working now it's not)
> this apt command is looking out onto the web, ... right??

Probably.  Depends how you have apt configured.  If there are
external url's in your /etc/apt/sources.list, then likely apt
is looking on the net.

> >| With Star Office I got:
> >| "wrong glibc version you need 2.1.1"

glibc has its own version number series.

> >What does 'dpkg -l libc6' say?
>
> This command returns:
> "|status=Not/Installed/Config-Files/Unpacked/Failed-configf/Half-installed
> |/Err?=(none)/Hold /Reinst-requird ...

This is the legend of the line that describes the libc6 situation
on your box.

The interesting line is the last one:

ii  libc6          2.1.3-10.0.2   GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone

The first i says I want it to be installed.
The second i says it is installed
The third character (blank) says no errors with the installation.
libc6 is the name of the package
The version is 2.1.3-10.0.2 (not really sure what this really means,
version 2.1.3 and some more precise stuff I guess)
And the last bunch of stuff on the line gives the description of the package
in half-a-line.

For the record, I'm running Debian Potato, 2.2R2 on a Sun machine.
uname -a returns

Linux seal 2.2.17 #1 Tue Jul 4 13:15:34 EDT 2000 sparc unknown
           ^^^^^^
kernel version

/etc/debian_version contains the version of debian that you
are running.  Mine says 2.2 (not 2.2R2).  I just know it
is 2.2R2.  I order CD's with Debian, and it was written on
them.

Sorry I'm not a big "version of libc vs version of kernel"
expert so can't solve your problem, but I hope some of these
explanations can help you understand your situation better.

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org