Re: Email client programs

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 11:46:44AM -0800, Vaughan, Curtis wrote:
| I am wondering what other Debian Users recommend for an email client
| program.

I like mutt the best.  It is good, makes good use of screen
real-estate, has good threading and list support, and is light, fast,
and stable.  The one downside is that many people don't like console
based apps.

| One of the big problems is that people will need to read and send mail in
| English and Russian.  I'm trying to recall, but I don't think I could get
| StarOffice and KMail to permit Russian.  Actually I could write in Russian
| in KMail provided I opened a letter that was already in Russian and composed
| my letter in that letter.  Understand?

I haven't tried to use mutt with any other language, but the Korean
and Japanese (spam) messages I've seen looked messed up.  Of course,
they still looked messed up with 'cat' and 'less' too.  I don't think
the version of gnome-terminal that I have can handle multi-byte fonts.
I use 'vim' as my editor with mutt, but one could just as easily use
'gvim'.  With gvim I have correctly viewed files in other languages
and it supports XIM.  I expect that with any (decent) mailer you will
be able to specify an external editor to use and in that case you can
make use of gvim's language support.

As for other mailers, Balsa is decent and lightweight.  Mahogany is
ok, but I'm not sure of its stability.  I've heard good things about
Sylpheed and KMail (though not the current kmail package).

| Finally, I couldn't figure out how to get any of the programs to encrypt
| passwords for logging in to our Exchange server - perhaps this is impossible
| consider different technologies?  Eventually, however, I would like to shut
| the Exchange server down, but that's not in the planning yet.

If you don't have IMAP or POP enaled on the exchange server you will
definitely have trouble with it.  That's the problem with proprietary
protocols and interfaces.  I did hear something about some people
reverse engineering it and patching fetchmail to be able to retrieve
from an exchange server.

-D

--

If your life is a hard drive,