Taking advantage of patch_the_kernel -- advice?

After running 2.2.20 quite happily, I figured I'd try the 2.4 series.
So I just grabbed the 2.4.17-1 source package, and I'm just about to build
it when I think, hey, the "preemptible kernel" patch listed here:

    http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/

looks like it could be useful.

Instead of just applying the patch myself, I'd like to try that nifty-looking
patch_the_kernel feature in make-kpkg.  How do I go about turning a simple
diff into the correct structure that patch_the_kernel expects?

I have found minimal documentation (although sufficient) on how to use
patch_the_kenl for existing kernel-patch-*.deb packages.  But I've found
nothing on how to do it myself.

Phil
P.S.- Under what exact conditions I need to get the kernel-headers-XYZ
package continues to elude me, but nothing's broken yet.