Re: Email client programs

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 05:36:15PM -0800, Lev Lvovsky wrote:
| On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, martin f krafft wrote:
|
| > > why the insistence on fetchmail?
| >
| > it's the unix philosophy -- let one program do its job and do it well,
| > let other programs use that...
|
| hehe, really?  I guess you can count mozilla out ;)

Right.

| while I like the concept of modularity, I can't imagine that actually
| fetching the mail can be very hard and/or killer-app-able.

It's not that amazing, but fetchmail does support a wide array of
protocols.  I even heard about some people (fed up with exchange's
brokenness of IMAP) reverse engineered the exchange protocol and
patched fetchmail to support it.  If you've done any development you
know that error handling code can easily outweigh the amount of normal
logic code in a program.  I think that, at the very least, a library
should be made that all programs can share.  That way it can be known
to be rock-solid, or that when an error is found and corrected, all
clients benefit from it.  That is what is nice about fetchmail.  It is
also nice to know that you can retrieve your mail independent from the
viewer when you are trying out many viewers to find the "best" one.

-D

--

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his
cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,