Re: Twin towers (was Re: Where do you RTFM ?)

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 04:42:20PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:40:46AM +0100, Carel Fellinger (cfelling@iae.nl) wrote:
> > I was only surprised by the vehement nature of your dislikes, but
> > I think I see. The main problem you and others have with info are:
> >
> > 1) you don't know the keys to use
>
> No.  For the nth time:  it's the binding of content to a specific
> browsing tool.

Okee, the keys are no problem then, though from most of your other
reactions it sure seemed like a really hot item.  But the nth time
mentioned thing seems strange to me, as there is info2www proving the
content isn't bound to info. There are other info replacing browsers
AND I stronly believe it to be possible to derive info pages formatted
in many a ways as to serve the browser of your liking given that the
info pages are described in TeX (texinfo to be precise).  Okee you
have to write a whatever-suits-you driver in TeX, but then you get to
browse them in whatever way you like.  The most widely used texinfo
converter in use produces the normal info pages geared to be browsed
with an info like browser, but I doubt there is a fundamental problem
with writing your own converter.  Much like nroff files can be printed
on a laser printer or viewed on a text only screen.

> > 2) the FSF put a ban on manpages
>
> Yes.

Given that my number 1 was wrong and your number 1 is mute I take it
that this is the real reason for your vehement dislike of info.
If so, it's no info you dislike, it's loosing manpages that you hate.
Let me restate then a heartedly me too.

--
groetjes, carel