Re: Where do you RTFM ?

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 02:44:17AM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:

I'm not sure where in the thread my comments belong so I'll put them
here.

| So what is it that makes you (and others) react so vehemently?

I've tried to use info a few times, and it is always difficult.  The
keybindings are unnatural to me -- I use vim, less, and bash regularly
(readline is set to "input-mode vi").  The info keys seem much more
like emacs (which I've used, but rejected in favor of vim).  Sometimes
I've managed to use it a bit, but other times it tells me there is no
link under the cursor (what, "Next" isn't a link!?).  I use man a lot
since I know the layout of a manpage and I can view it easily ('less').

I think that info is ok for a book-like document.  I know that many
GNU tools have nice HTML and PS/PDF documents available on gnu.org,
and the TOC resembles what I've seen in 'info'.  I also like how the
reader has the choice (for HTML anyways) of one-massive-page,
one-page-per-chapter, or one-page-per-section.  I like the second for
on-line viewer and the first for printing.

If someone made decent manpages (for reference), _and_ if they made a
info2vim converter then I could be happy :-).  If you don't already
know : vim allows for hyper-links (start with :help) that can be
followed with ^] and ^T takes you back where you were before.

-D

--

He who belongs to God hears what God says.  The reason you do not hear
is that you do not belong to God.