Re: Where do you RTFM ?

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 02:21:55AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 03:54:36AM -0200, Christoph Simon (ciccio@kiosknet.com.br) wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Dec 2001 20:38:49 -0800
> > "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > >     ...followed by dire warnings that the manpage may not be updated,
> > >     etc., etc.  At which point the pitiless reader turns to the info
> > >     document...which in many cases is a copy of the same manpage (now
> > >     presented in an unfamiliar document viewer).  Houston, we've got a
> > >     problem.
> >
> > This is the choice of debian maintainers.
>
> Looks to me more like someone dropped the ball.  "Gee...GNU doesn't do
> man pages, so we'll note that in the man page, but I don't feel like
> writing an info page....".

No, usually what's happened in these cases is that the man page is in
the main package while the info pages are in a separate -doc package
which you haven't got installed. When you type info, it can't find the
real info page, so it reverts to its neutered "try to view man pages"
mode instead.

(Usual disclaimer: I'm not a fan of info either. Maybe I should turn
man-db into a GNU package, just for the sheer irony value? :))