Re: Where can I find KDE2 Debian packages ?

Kendall Shaw <queshaw@pacbell.net> writes:

> "Dan S." <kiyose@peak.org> writes:
>
> > KDE2 is now part of woody. Just do an apt-get install kde and you should be
> > ok.
>
> I don't see any package called kde, except in the packages for sid.
>
> I see kdebase for woody (It sure would be convenient if the packages
> had the same names as the packages that kde distributes).
>
> The install seems to be a little weird though. Doing apt-get install
> kdebase gets me kdebase and kdelibs3 which is for version 2.2.2 while
> kdebase is for version 2.2.1 and when kde loads it sayd kde 2.2.1.
>
> Any hints about how to get kde 2.2.2 installed under woody (aside from
> the crochety standby "consult http://www.google.com";). I tried adding
> unstable to my sources.list and setting up an /etc/apt/preferences
> file after someone's adivce but when I try to install the package
> called kde, apt complains that the package is "broken".

As pointed out by others, the correct package is "kdebase".

Also, use dselect to install it, not apt-get.  Dselect is quite a bit
smarter than apt-get, in its quirky way.  It'll pick up Recommends:
packages, which tend to be quite important.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org