Re: problem with Debian woody freeze (possibly eepro 100 problem)

On Saturday 22 December 2001 14:02, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> Dear People,
>
> I recently installed Debian Woody on a IBM Netvista 6792. The
> network card is the Intel 100 Pro VE. The standard driver for
> this appears to be the eepro100. I'm using the standard kernel
> shipped with Debian Potato/Woody, 2.2.19pre17. The card was
> configured automatically for me by Debian using eepro100 and
> dchp. Don't know the details, but can investigate.
>
> when I try to run apt (apt-get whatever) which downloads files
> off the net, it works fine for a bit, but then comes to a
> grinding halt, and completely freezes the machine. After this
> not even the power button responds. The only way to restart
> the computer is to pull the power plug. Otherwise the machine
> seems quite stable, and at this point is has only a minimal
> installation configured. I don't have X or sound or any other
> devices connected.
>
> So, it seems reasonable to assume that the problem might be
> with networking and hence with the card. My next step will be
> to try the Intel driver which Debian has fairly recent sources
> for (but unfortunately not binaries). I don't know whether
> this will help. A further long shot would be that the problem
> is with the dchp client used, but I don't think this is very
> likely.
>
> Any suggestions or thoughts? If you do, please copy any
> Thanks in advance.
>
>                                         Sincerely, Faheem
> Mitha.

I have the same problem (minus the complete lockup) with a
machine at work using the identical card (the eepro 100 VE).
Whenever I do anything over the network I consistently have to
check to make sure whatever I'm doing completes.  Many times I
have to reinitiate "it" just to get what I'm trying to do done.
I tried compiling the driver from the code which Intel provides
on their site.  That seemed to do the trick for a little while.
After updating and compiling a new kernel I had the same problem
again.  From my experience, the problems aren't just related to
the GNU/Linux OS.  If I were you (this is just my *advice*), I
would write off the card and get a new one (of a different
type).  This is the only card I've ever had problems with.

HTH,
Jesse