Re: Where to slice a 2 gig drive ?

on Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 02:39:39PM -0500, lee (lnx@alltel.net) wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Ok..I'm fairly new to linux and extremely new to debian (was mandrake
> 8.1)..I'm attempting to install 2.2r2 on a 2 gig drive here and not
> really sure where to carve this drive up. I'm planning on using this
> box as a proxy for 6 other machines (combo of linux/98se). Linux docs
> has a few articles on this but I thought I'd come straight to the
> horses mouth to learn what might be best :-)

2 GB is a bit on the smallish side.  If you're using it as a proxy, I'd
probably set up /, /tmp, /usr, and /var as separate partitions.
Depending on what proxy services you're offering, you might want to make
/var the bulk of the partitions (squid, ferexample, dumps its cache
there).

My base suggestions are at:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

I'd modify these as follows:

    /            100 MB
    <swap>        64  -   128 MB
    /tmp          50 MB
    /usr         300  -   600 MB
    /var        1,200 - 1,400+ MB

Note I'm not allocating /home, /boot, or /usr/local.

Rationale:  This is a server, /home isn't particularly needed.  The
gains of creating separate /boot and /usr/local partitions are also
small (though a 16-24MB /boot partition wouldn't significantly cut into
available storage).  /usr needn't be too large, and limiting installed
software likely increases system security.  Providing ample storage to
/var allows both for package updating (unless the archives are remotely
hosted via NFS on another system in the network), and allows ample
storage for caching proxies such as squid.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org