Re: which latest kernel to use ?

Alan Chandler wrote:

> Since 2.4.17 is out now I would use that - IMHO its the most stable

Of course, it just came out yesterday, so any judgment on its stability
is premature.

That said, I'm running 2.4.17 now and I haven't observed any problems
yet.

Btw, Debian Woody/Sid users who want to compile recent 2.4 kernels will
probably find that they have to downgrade binutils to 2.11.92.0.10-4 to
avoid weird build failures. I couldn't build 2.4.17 with the newest
binutils. There are some existing bugs on these problems which appear to
have been assigned to the kernel-source maintainer (not, as one might
expect, the binutils maintainer, though the bugs were originally filed
against binutils).

This old version of binutils may be obtained from my archive site at
http://crdic.ath.cx/debian (use a web browser, not dpkg -- it's not a
proper package repository, just a directory with a bunch of packages in
it). You can also use TuxFinder at http://www.tuxfinder.org, which has
options to search for .deb files.

Craig