Question / Help on XFS Font Server

After a recent "upgrade" to allow TrueType fonts on my XF86 version 4.1 system via the Debian TrueType HOWTO, everything seemed to work OK, except the sidebar fonts in Netscape were VERY tiny and I could not change their size. E-Mail messages and regular Web Pages seemed to render their fonts appropriately & the new TrueType fonts were available. This was a minor concern, as I am shifting to using Mozilla anyway which worked fine. However, during my efforts to track down the cause of this "problem" I discovered something unusual and would like some advice and/or help.

When I inspect /var/log/syslog file, I find the following messages whenever the XFS font server is started:

Dec 22 13:47:19 gandalf xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled (unreadable) Dec 22 13:47:19 gandalf xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled (unreadable) Dec 22 13:47:19 gandalf xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/ (unreadable) Dec 22 13:47:19 gandalf xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/ (unreadable)

In the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file I also see the following:

Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi, removing from list!

Apparently neither X nor XFS can access the 100dpi or 75dpi fonts! I have tried re-installing both of these font packages without any resolution. When I look in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi or ./75dpi there are a WHOLE lot of XXXXX.pcf.gz file listed + " encodings.dir" + " fonts.alias" + "fonts.dir" files. There doesn't seem to be any ".scale" file present. In /etc/X11/fonts/100dpi/ directory I have only the xfonts-100dpi.alias + zzmy-fonts.alias (per the HOWTO) listed. Ditto for ./75dpi/ directory.

Since I am at a pre-beginners level when it comes to X, I am stumped as to where to go next, or even if I have something mis-configured. I don't even know which files to provide for your info in helping to diagnose the "problem" at this point! Fonts in X are one of the world's greatest mysteries to me. Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Feel free to E-Mail me direct, as I am not suscribed to the Debian Users Mainling list. There is usually about 6-24 hour lag before messages show up in the archives here.

TIA!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-