Sending faxes with efax as a normal user

Hi all.

I noticed that I can not send faxes as a user. The fax command complains of the following:

efax: 16:13 Error: can't open pre-lock file /var/lock/TMP..01473: Permission denied

The permissions on /var/lock are:

drwxr-xr-t    3 root     root         1024 Dec 21 17:18 /var/lock/

so, users should not be allowed to write. I assume its this way for a reason.

So, how should efax be set up so as to allow normal users to send faxes, or is this not possible. Sending faxes as root works, but I don't like the idea.

If there is no way to make efax do this, what other software are available?

Thanks
Neilen