xmame-gl slow, even with direct rendering working

Hi All!

I recently (yesterday, in fact) got (finally) a vid card with some accellerated 3D support, nameley an ATI Rage 128GL, with 32MB RAM.

I Managed to get DRI working without too much effort (mainly compiling the r128 and agpgart kernel modules). I know it is accelerated, since when I run gears without any DRI stuff, I get 100fps, and with accell about 300fps. Also, glaxium is completely unplayable without 3D accel, and with it, I get 30-40 fps.

This is on a Duron 750 (kt133 chipset, RAM speed set to medium, cas3, video 1152x864 32bpp). Anyhow, I was hoping to use xmame-gl to get fast fullscreen support in X, but even running a game at 1:1 resolution, I get only about 5fps. Running the normal X version, and scaling it to double size, I easily get 60fps.

Anyone have any ideas, or get it to perform better themselves? If so, what config do you have?

Oh, one think that _might_ be significant, I am running mostly woody, with only the xmame comfing from sid. All the X/DRI/Mesa/whatever is from woody, kernel 2.4.13.