Re: Converting between maildir and mbox

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 11:32:58PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
>
> > OK, now the other question is does this affect procmail at all?
>
> man procmailrc
>
> Observe in particular the rule for specifying the format of a destination
> folder. If you give a name without a trailing / then it is assumed to be
> an mbox file. Put a trailing / on the name to tell procmail that it is
> a maildir folder.

A few observations:

If you've already created a maildir "foo/" but specify "foo" in your
.procmailrc, procmail will deliver to mbox "foo".  So don't forget
that slash :)

In my experience, if you are sorting mail into folders (or whatever
you want to call them), it's not necessary to create the maildir at
all; just tell procmail that you want all mail from the debian-xyzzy list
in "debian-xyzzy", and procmail will create the maildir itself when
the first message arrives.

qmail absolutely demands that the maildir exist before delivering mail
to it.  This confused the heck out of me once when I thought qmail was
using procmail as the MDA, but it really wasn't.

Regards,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.