slattach woes

A friend of mine tries to connect two pc's over the serial line
with slattach, but failes. He comes to me, I try and fail:(
So I turn to you guys. Please don't fail me:)

According to Net-* a simple

  # slattach /dev/ttyS0 &
  # ifconfig sl0 A pointopoint B up
  # route add B sl0

on machine A, and on machine B the similar

  # slattach /dev/ttyS0 &
  # ifconfig sl0 B pointopoint A up
  # route add A sl0

should work.  But I can't ping to the other:(, there is no
activity on sl0 (checked with ifconfig and xnetload)
I do have A and B in /etc/hosts, don't know what else to do.

O, and I get many

  sl0: transmit timed out, bad line quality?

on my console.

--
groetjes, carel