Re: init.d: writing custom init-scripts

In article <[🔎] 84r8ppntuo.fsf@scrooge.apana.org.au>,
Brian May  <bam@debian.org> wrote:

>    Colin> In Debian, runlevels 2-5 are identical by default, and
>    Colin> configuring any differences is left up to the system
>    Colin> administrator.
>
>What does single user mode mean?
>I thought if I typed in "telinit s" it should kill off a number of
>daemons before entering single user mode.

Don't do that.

>It doesn't. It just goes straight to single user mode.

Right. "man init":

       Runlevels  0, 1, and 6 are reserved. Runlevel 0 is used to
       halt the system, runlevel 6 is used to reboot the  system,
       and  runlevel 1 is used to get the system down into single
       user mode. Runlevel S is  not  really  meant  to  be  used
       directly,  but more for the scripts that are executed when
       entering runlevel 1. For more information on this, see the
       manpages for shutdown(8) and inittab(5).

>Do I smell a bug somewhere here? Or is this normal behaviour?

It's the way it's supposed to be.

Mike.
--
"Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do ... The best way to
 predict the future is to invent it." -- Alan Kay.