Re: Fish swimming over my Desktop and ... system locked ?!?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 10:17:09AM -0600, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> * Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) spake thusly:
> > On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 03:41:46PM -0600, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> > > Simple explanations are usually correct (see .sig). If the system
> > > locked up right after that easter egg kicked in, it's most likely
> > > the easter egg's fault. Can you say "unforseen interactions between
> > > various parts of the system"?
> >
> > Having read the code for said Easter egg, I'd say that if such a simple
> > thing causes your system to lock up then you have rather serious
> > problems anyway.
>
> Yes, but if those serious problems don't pop up unless the
> easter egg kicks in...

FUD. Read the code: gnome-core source package, panel/main.c, search for
'fish'. You can allude to Occam's Razor if you like, but the fact is
that if creating a window and sticking a handler on it that moves the
window a few pixels every 150 milliseconds locks up your system then
your X server is so buggy that you're screwed anyway. It's much more
likely that something unrelated happened to go wrong at the same time.

The fish is certainly useless, I won't argue with that - but can we
please be sensible?