ppp daemon dies Newbie #61

Hi,

Starting wvdial it dial in, commences ppp negotiation, and then the following
message comes up.  Can anybody give me a solution or tell me where to look
as I can find nothing relevant.

--> ppp negotiation detected
--> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pop-secrets : Permission denied
--> PAP (Password Identification Protocol) may be flaky
--> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pop-secrets : Permission denied
--> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky
--> Starting pppd <date-time>
-->PPP daemon has died! (exit code = 242)
--> Disconnecting at <date-time>
--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
--> pppd error! Look at files in /var/log for an explanation.

The first bit about permission denied is because (i think) i was not running from root and
maybe as user need to join the group.

What I need to do is to find out why the PPP daemon dies everytime.  Help please. I
see nothing in /var/log of any help.

Note.  I also set up to try pon and poff.  pon also fails to connect

Regards
Ian
    Ian Balchin
    Grahamstown, South Africa.