Re: ppp daemon dies Newbie #61

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Starting wvdial it dial in, commences ppp negotiation, and then the following
> message comes up.  Can anybody give me a solution or tell me where to look
> as I can find nothing relevant.
>
> --> ppp negotiation detected
> --> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pop-secrets : Permission denied
> --> PAP (Password Identification Protocol) may be flaky
> --> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pop-secrets : Permission denied
> --> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky
> --> Starting pppd <date-time>
> -->PPP daemon has died! (exit code = 242)
> --> Disconnecting at <date-time>
> --> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
> --> pppd error! Look at files in /var/log for an explanation.
>
> The first bit about permission denied is because (i think) i was not running from root and
> maybe as user need to join the group.
>
> What I need to do is to find out why the PPP daemon dies everytime.  Help please. I
> see nothing in /var/log of any help.
>
> Note.  I also set up to try pon and poff.  pon also fails to connect
>
> Regards
> Ian
>     Ian Balchin
>     Grahamstown, South Africa.

Running as root is best.  If you are using GUI, bring up an xterm and do
'su -' and run it there or just login on a separate terminal and run it.  It
looks like your ISP is using CHAP.  Make sure you have your password in
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets.

<username>   *   <password>

Make sure the file is rw for only user.  It should be that way by default
and should be owned by root of course.  Some ISP's also want the complete
email address for the username, but most don't.

It's possible to make user a member of the group.  You will also have to
become a member of the group on the modem as well.  But before you play with
that, be sure you can get connected as root.

Anita