Re: Powerchute APC software for potato

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 10:54:00PM +0000, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> error: PowerChutePlus-4.5.3-1_RedHat.i386.rpm cannot be installed
> I'm used to Powerchute and quite like it. Is there anyway of installing it
> on potato? I tried compiling the Redhat sources but it complained of
> binary incompatibility.

I use it on my Potato (2.4 kernel too) without problems.
I've got some difficulties installing the software, and then I wrote
these lines somewhere on my harddisk. It can be useful for you I guess :)

PS I used the source file from the install CD

<quote>
If you experienced problems while installing PowerChutePlus 4.5.2
(pc452_glibc.tar) on a Debian/Linux system, here's a solution
(for Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 rev 3, aka Potato)

1. Download libstdc++2.8 package via
   http://packages.debian.org/stable/oldlibs/libstdc++2.8.html
2. Install it
   dpkg -i libstdc++2.8_2.90.29-2.deb
3. Create /etc/rc.d temporarily, because of bad install path
   ln -s /etc /etc/rc.d
4. Install SmartUPS
   ./INSTALL
5. Remove the previous temporary link