Re: OT: JBoss & Linux Threads

Hi dman!

Thanks for your quick reply!

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, dman wrote:

> [...]
> What is a "real" thread?

Unfortunately, that wasn't clarified further in the documentation.

> [...]
> Perhaps they (or you, I haven't checked the website) meant to say that
> _java_ on linux doesn't use kernel (aka "native") threads, but only
> "green" threads.

When you say Java, you are probably referring to Sun JDK 1.3, right? Do
you know by chance why it doesn't support kernel threads on Linux?

> Blackdown's j2sk1.3 package does use kernel threads.

Thanks for the hint. Does that mean you'd recommend using Blackdown's JDK
rather than Sun's?

> If you want more details on "native" vs. "green" threads, I recommend
> doing some research on java.sun.com.

Thanks again. Will do that.

Greetings,

	Holger