Re: OT: JBoss & Linux Threads

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 05:52:15PM +0100, Holger Rauch wrote:
| Hi!
|
| This is a rather general Linux kernel/glibc issue. In the JBoss
| documentation
|
| 	http://www.jboss.org/online-manual/HTML/ch10s02.html
|
| I read that Linux allegedly does not support "real threads". My questions
| on this issue are:
|
| 1. Is that statement correct at all?

What is a "real" thread?  Certainly Linux thread support is
implemented very differently than Windows threads.

Perhaps they (or you, I haven't checked the website) meant to say that
_java_ on linux doesn't use kernel (aka "native") threads, but only
"green" threads.  Blackdown's j2sk1.3 package does use kernel threads.
If you want more details on "native" vs. "green" threads, I recommend
doing some research on java.sun.com.

-D

--

Better a little with righteousness