Re: OT: JBoss & Linux Threads

Hi Ray!

Thanks for your quick reply!

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:

> [...]
> Some people's definition of that seems to
> include hybrid user and kernel space threading, and in that case, the
> statement is correct.

Is this a big disadvantage for Linux compared to other OSes?

> [...]
> LinuxThreads (an implementation of POSIX threads; see
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/) has been available as an
> add-on to glibc and even libc5 for a long time. I'm fairly sure potato does
> threads, and possibly even slink.

Doing a "/lib/libc-2.1.3.so" on my potato system shows

linuxthreads-0.8 by Xavier Leroy

So, I think potato *does* kernel threads, right?

> [...]
> Other thread implementations (mostly userspace) are available as well; see
> e.g. http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~mueller/pthreads/

Is that implementation preferrable to the linuxthreads package that can be
compiled into glibc? If so, for what reasons?

Thanks for your help!

Greetings,

	Holger