Re: fetchmail & exim on a ppp dialup

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 08:49:44PM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
| I have a newly installed Potato host. I have installed and configured fetchmail
| and exim as best I understand.
| Email is not coming through to the mail file /var/mail/pecondon as I think it
| should. What can I do to debug?
| What information is needed by people who might give me advice?

One way to see if exim is performing local delivery correctly is to
send yourself a message.

$ exim pecondon
From: me
Subject: test

asfd
^D
$

(the ^D is a Ctrl-D, for EOF (End-Of-File)).  exim should then
(immediately) deliver that message to /var/mail/pecondon.  Whether or
not it does, /var/log/exim/mainlog will have a record of what
happened.  Show us the relevant portion of that.

After you get local delivery set up, then you can proceed to either
remote delivery or fetchmail configuration (fetchmail should hand off
mail to exim, which then requires local delivery for you to actually
get the message).

-D

--

Failure is not an option.  It is bundled with the software.