Re: exim on a dialup

On Sat, 2001-12-15 at 20:16, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I use ppp and diald to connect to my ISP.
> What do I need to do to a new installation of Debian stable to get email?
> What should I use for reading email?
> Do I need something besides exim to get the email? e.g. fetchmail?

I would suggest to try both KDE and Gnome as Desktop environments if
your machine is reasonably recent. Both have an email client (KDE's is
kmail, Gnome's is the newly released Evolution). KDE is the more
polished environment for now, but Evolution is the better mailer, IMHO.
Both can retrieve and send mail on their own, no need for other tools if
your needs are not special. I don't know for kmail, but Evo can retrieve
from multiple sources and send from different identities (i.e., you can
configure several email adresses, and choose which one to send from -
then the mail server that goes with it is used to send). In addition you
should install exim and configure it to send local mail only. Also
install logcheck. Then in Evo set up an additional mail retrieval from
"local spool". This way your system will send you the most important
system logs every hour via the local mail spool.

That said, if you're more interested in text clients, try mutt. I think
mutt can retrieve by itself but needs exim to send, but I'm not sure.
Exim configuration to forward non-local mail to your ISP is not that
hard with eximconfig.
You can also use fetchmail to retrieve mail (and fetchmailconf to
configure it) but it's decidedly more complicated than Evo.

You need special lines in /etc/apt/sources.list to get recent Gnome or
KDE for potato. KDE is 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 now, Gnome 1.4.1. Search the list
archive at http://lists.debian.org/ or look at
http://www.debianhelp.org/ or http://www.debianplanet.org/ for the
sources.list lines. You can also use Ximian's Gnome
(http://www.ximian.com/) for potato. Many will advise against it for
debian (because they package slightly different, maybe inferior to
debian; in any case, don't mix Ximian and debian packages for Gnome,
they don't work together well), but I found it a very nicely polished
version of Gnome for potato.

Have fun, M.