Re: exim on a dialup

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 18:32, Tony Crawford wrote:
> > Mario Vukelic wrote (on 13 Dec 2001 at 8:25):
> >
> > > The ugly thing with the rewriting is that the above rule in the
> > > eximconfig-generated conf file rewrites always, regardless of
> > > destination, i.e., also for local mail that stays on your machine or
> > > network (Which means that replys to local mail want to go over the ISP
> > > account, which is often not what's wanted).
> >
> > If your /etc/aliases contains the reverse table of your
> > /etc/email-addresses, the local replies will stay local.
> >
> > If that doesn't turn out to be true for you, hit me up for
> > config details: it works for me.
>
> Sounds cool! Excuse me if I just ask for the config details right away.
> (and please feel free to ignore me if you don't want to dig it up; I
> surely don't want to put my workload on you). I admit that I don't want
> to spend another day on email config right now. Maybe the folks at
> http://www.exim.org should be told too. This would made a great addition
> to their FAQ. Their solution for the problem is, well, daunting, at
> least for a little home net.

I'm a newbie. I just noticed this thread. I've missed any stuff that wasn't
included in the above quote of the last message, so please excuse.

I would like to use pure free software for email. In particular, Netscape seems
to freeze my x-windows just as I am about to send an email. Not good.
I hope this gets through.

I use ppp and diald to connect to my ISP.
What do I need to do to a new installation of Debian stable to get email?
What should I use for reading email?
Do I need something besides exim to get the email? e.g. fetchmail?

I don't want anything fancy, just something that works while I learn about
Debain.
I have read enough of the documentation that got loaded during the install to
know that I need help ... badly.

Thanks,

Paul Condon