Re: File Transfers, taken from Re: an XFree86 problem, an xscreensaver problem, followed by anEnlightenment problem

on Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:02:07PM -0500, Seneca Cunningham (seneca@slemish.com) wrote:
> I am looking for a fast and reliable method for transferring files between
> systems.

> have no working Ethernet cards, and currently it is assorted packages
> as I setup the computer that this concerns, but later it will be
> datafiles > 10M, so CD sets don't fit my needs. To the option of using
> a parallel or serial cable as described in the HOWTOs, it cannot be
> used for a few reasons.
>
>      1. the computer with internet access is a Windows 9x machine
>         a) the computer's Ethernet card is built-in
>         b) the PLIP-HOWTO says that it has not worked with Windows 9x

Tom's Root/Boot:

    http://www.toms.net/rb/

GNU/Linux on a floppy.  Includes SLIP and PLIP support.  You'll need a
crossover cable, ~ US$12, or borrow one.

You could also _borrow_ a couple of ethernet cards, and set up the
systems on a null-ethernet cable.

...or borrow a ZIP drive or similar detachable device, to transfer 100 -
250 MB at a shot.

>      2. my Debian machine has only one parallel port
>         a) this computer is connected to my printer because the Windows
>            computer fried its print drivers
>
> Before anyone tells me to convert the Windows computer, I am not
> allowed to change _anything_ about that computer.

Define "change".

If you want to set yourself up so there are no successful solutions,
that's your own affair.

> I can't buy any replacement hardware as I am a student on a tight
> budget.

Define budget.  $20 - $50 is too much to spend?

See above WRT borrowing hardware.  Depending on your location, you may
be able to "buy" a solution and take it back to the store for a return.
Or at least an exchange.  Check policies first.  Your credit card may
offer you some benefits here.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org