File Transfers, taken from Re: an XFree86 problem, an xscreensaver problem, followed by anEnlightenment problem

I am looking for a fast and reliable method for transferring files between
systems.

David Maze <dmaze@debian.org> wrote:

> Seneca Cunningham <seneca@slemish.com> writes:
>
> SC> and other such difficulties, could it just be a few bad transfers
> SC> by floppy, as large packages (>1.4M) have to be made into a
> SC> spanning archive, transfered, reassembled, then installed.
>
> You really have no other way to move files between the machines?
> There are lots of options besides floppies; you could make Debian CD
> images if you had a CD burner (http://cdimage.debian.org/), or
> assemble a small Ethernet-based network, or even if all else failed
> attach the two computers with a parallel cable (see the PLIP-HOWTO off
> of http://www.linuxdoc.org/).  Or if you're just trying to install,
> you could order a CD set; http://www.cheapbytes.com/ has Debian 2.2r4
> CD sets for $10, plus shipping.

no working Ethernet cards, and currently it is assorted packages as I setup
the computer that this concerns, but later it will be datafiles > 10M, so CD
sets don't fit my needs. To the option of using a parallel or serial cable
as described in the HOWTOs, it cannot be used for a few reasons.

     1. the computer with internet access is a Windows 9x machine
        a) the computer's Ethernet card is built-in
        b) the PLIP-HOWTO says that it has not worked with Windows 9x
        c) the Serial-Laplink-HOWTO requires the Direct Cable Connection
program
        d) Windows fried its files a while ago, killing Direct Cable
Connection
        e) I cannot re-install that piece of fried software, the CD drive
does not work

     2. my Debian machine has only one parallel port
        a) this computer is connected to my printer because the Windows
computer fried its print drivers

Before anyone tells me to convert the Windows computer, I am not allowed to
change _anything_ about that computer. I can't buy any replacement hardware
as I am a student on a tight budget. Normally I'd spend more time than I
have attempting to write my own solution, but I have exams to study for, and
final assignments to complete. If anyone cares to know, my answer to this
problem works in some DOS environments perfectly using a serial cable,
except that the files don't tranfer, well... they don't transfer into a
file, they just comes on screen leaving the destination files empty.

I know fried is the technical term for electronics, not computers, but it
fits...

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com