Re: File Transfers

Carl Fink <carl@fink.to> wrote:

> Does the Windows box have a modem?  Does your Debian laptop have one?
> I've done modem-to-modem file transfers before.  Okay, this was so
> long ago they were both running MS DOS 3.3, but it should still work.
>
> Can you *borrow* two external modems for a few weeks?  Lots of people
> (e.g. me) have modems we rarely or never use, because we have
> broadband now.

The amazing thing is I located two modems in my area! But the arrangement is
incompatible. The modem that can be used with the laptop is a cellphone
modem, and the other modem is a cable modem, although I'm not sure about
permission to use it. The older phone modems that used to be here are gone.
I think they were donated to a daycare centre.

If I could get a schematic for a modem, I could build it if it only uses
standard, commercially available parts, maybe even getting extra credit in
electronics in the process.

If this goes on much longer, after exams I'll attempt to fix my possible
answer to this problem that partially works in some DOS environments with a
serial cable. All I need to do is get the files to transfer properly.
Currently, the information doesn't transfer into a file like its supposed
to, it just comes on screen leaving the destination files empty. I think its
a problem with the timing.

I hope Santa brings me some new hardware for Christmas.

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com