Re: auto laptop interfaces [ was: apt-get update: Could not connect...]

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 03:30:09PM -0800, Greg Wiley wrote:
| On Thursday, December 13, 2001 1:58 PM, dman wrote:
|
| > The only problem left (for me) is :  how can it automatically
| > determine whether or not to use DHCP (that is, is the link from home
| > or not).  I don't think that can be automated (GPS ;-)?).  What I
| > really need to do is configure dhcpd at home sometime.
|
| Someone here posted that he had a program that would
| check for the presence of another host on the LAN.

Sounds like a chicken-vs-egg situation.  The machine must be on the
LAN to use it, and it must be able to use it to determine if another
machine is there, and it must determine if the other machine is there
to determine how to get on the LAN.  :-).

| I'm not sure if it was based on MAC or IP but if you can't
| find that, I would think some kind of arp-based script could
| tell you if a specific interface was nearby.

Yeah, ARP could do it, I think.  With ARP, I'd send out a "do you
exist" type of request, and get the response back (via MAC) and
| Then just create a couple of virtual interfaces that are mapped via
| that script: one for DHCP, one for static.

If I learn how to work with arp, I think this may be doable.  Cool.

-D

--

Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
and your plans will succeed.