Re: auto laptop interfaces [ was: apt-get update: Could not connect...]

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 12:51:19PM -0800, Greg Wiley wrote:
| On Thursday, December 13, 2001 12:26 PM, dman wrote:
|
| > Usually this means your network interface isn't up.  (like if I turn
| > on the laptop, but forget to "sudo ifup eth0" first)
|
| In case you're interested, here's a strategy to configure laptop
| ethernics automatically--even if you have a hardware config
| that changes regularly (docking, PCMCIA, whatever).
|
| http://www.orthogony.com/gjw/lap/lap-ether-intro.html

Thanks for the examples!  Now I understand how the mapping thing is
supposed to work.  Also that check-link.sh script is really cool.

The only problem left (for me) is :  how can it automatically
determine whether or not to use DHCP (that is, is the link from home
or not).  I don't think that can be automated (GPS ;-)?).  What I
really need to do is configure dhcpd at home sometime.

-D

--

A wise servant will rule over a disgraceful son,
and will share the inheritance as one of the brothers.