an XFree86 problem, an xscreensaver problem, followed by an Enlightenment problem

These are three problems that occured in relatively quick succession in the
listed order:

1.    XFree stopped using its global xinitrc file. It used it a few times,
then
      I changed it from using xserver-vga16 to xserver-svga. Any way to get
my
      computer to start using it again?

2.	As root, I do not have the authority to start or chang any screensaver
      settings, however when I am an ordinary user, I have the authority to
      start and change the screensaver settings. The first time I used the
      screensavers I was an ordinary user. Could that have anything to do
with
      the problem?

3.    As an ordinary user, I changed window manager to Enlightenment from
      Blackbox for the first time not as root. Seconds after the menus
finished
      generating, the message:

           Enlightenment caused Segment Violation (Segfault)

           This means that Enlightenment or support library routines it
calls
           have accessed areas of your system's memory that they are not
           allowed access to. This is most likely a bug. It is recommended
           restart now. If you wish to help fix this please compile
           Enlightenment with debugging symbols in and run Enlightenment
           under gdb so you can backtrace for where it died and send in a
           useful bug report with backtrace information and variable
           dumps etc.

      came onto my screen. What should I do?

A slight comment about my Debian system is that all file transfers must be
done by floppy, from another computer. After cat messed up the ASCII tables
for a terminal until rebooting, impossible to find commands (I can only view
man pages using a text editor), and other such difficulties, could it just
be a few bad transfers by floppy, as large packages (>1.4M) have to be made
into a spanning archive, transfered, reassembled, then installed.

Thanks for any help,

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com