Re: vim, remote (ftp) editing

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 12:47:52PM -0800, Richard Weil wrote:
| Does anyone have experience with the new vim 6.0 (in
| testing) feature of being able to edit a file via ftp?
| I invoke the command per the documentation, but
| instead of simply using ftp, it appears to use rcp
| and/or ssh, which isn't setup on the server I'm
| ftp'ing into. Is there some Debian default which
| causes this? For example, I type:
|
| vim ftp://[ftp host]
|
| with the appropriate entries in my .netrc
|
| and I get:
|
| :!rcp ftp://[ftp host] /tmp/[some number]
| ssh: ftp: name or service not known
| Error detected ...

The problem is that, for some reason, your vim is trying to use 'rcp'
(provided by ssh, also called 'scp') which doesn't do "ftp" transfers.

I've successfully used scp and http editing.  I'm trying ftp right
now.  I get prompted for user and password fine, but I'm not seeing
anything else.  I don't have a .netrc file.

| I can ftp directly into the website no problem.

web == WWW == HTTP != FTP.  I know what you mean though.

-D

--

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
        Philippians 4:13