vim, remote (ftp) editing

Does anyone have experience with the new vim 6.0 (in
testing) feature of being able to edit a file via ftp?
I invoke the command per the documentation, but
instead of simply using ftp, it appears to use rcp
and/or ssh, which isn't setup on the server I'm
ftp'ing into. Is there some Debian default which
causes this? For example, I type:

vim ftp://[ftp host]

with the appropriate entries in my .netrc

and I get:

:!rcp ftp://[ftp host] /tmp/[some number]
ssh: ftp: name or service not known
Error detected ...

I can ftp directly into the website no problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard