cvsup GUI mode bug? - no GUI in GNOME 1.4 . . .

I'm running on Debian (woody-testing) and trying to use cvsup and cvsupd
to keep two systems sync'd.  I have never used either before so I don't
fully understand everything yet.  I got the server up (I thought) , but
I couldn't get the client to pull the stuff.  Finally, I saw some
reference to the cvsup GUI and that you could disable it with the -g
option.  I didn't realize that it had a GUI.  As soon as I did that, it
pulled the files beautifully.

With the -g option ommitted, it seems to spin for a bit when running
'cvsup' and then quits.  I see NO GUI whatsoever, no errors, it just
doesn't do anything.  There may be something else I don't understand or
is missing from the .deb package, but I couldn't tell you what it was.

Jeff