Limiting admin privileges

Hi all,
My group is looking into providing Linux workstations to the engineers,
but we're worried about future problems regarding admin privileges.  We
would like to give our engineers root on their boxes so they can set them
up and provide patches and such.  But, su-ing to root will also allow them
to access any other users' files (since we have an automount NFS daemon
which will mount the other users' home directories when accessed).  What
kind of utilities are available that would allow the users admin-type
privileges, but disallow their munging others' files?

Thanks

--
-bob

Remember the... the... uhh.....
* Robert Kerr, The morphing guy.  *    MS 0847 Sandia National Labs  *
* rakerr@sandia.gov               *    Albuquerque NM 87185-0847     *
* Robert_Kerr@byu.edu             *      Phone: (505) 844-8606       *
* http://www.et.byu.edu/~kerrr    *      Fax: (505) 844-9297         *