Re: exim on a dialup

On Thursday 13 December 2001 12:53 am, mario wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 09:30, ben wrote:
> > i'm still getting this:

> Did you restart exim ('/etc/init.d/exim restart' as root)?
>
> > what's the syntax for /etc/email-addresses? i may have screwed that up.
>
> Easy. I'm mario on my machine and mario.vukelic@chello.at at my ISP. So
> I put into my /etc/email-aliases:
>
> mario: mario.vukelic@chello.at
>
> It should work. But to be sure that I don't lead you onto a wrong track:
> do my headers actually look ok?.

yeah, your headers look reasonable--speaking from a position of obvious
inexpertise. what i looked at were the references, which make a lot more
sense than mine, all of which refer to message id's from localhost, whereas
yours eventually refer back to chello.at. i guess that--message id's anchored
at localhost--was the cause of the angry gripe you got from the sendmail
user, although i would imagine that some manner of safeguard exists within
his responsibility to prevent that. otherwise, internet havoc would easily
prevail.

essentially, i've followed all the rules i've found, including those you've
passed on. nothing you said caused any negative effect, so i assume that they
are relevant. i've read that some of exim's syntax rules occasionally cancel
each other, so i'm thinking that something i've done previously is having
that effect. back to the FM, i guess. nothing like a good read before bedtime.

thanks for your help. if i get it sorted, i'll get back to you.