Re: Patititioning hard drive

* Osamu Aoki (debian@aokiconsulting.com) spake thusly:
> Does these aregument below true for highly on-memmory cached file system
> like Linux?  It aint DOS.  Also modern HDD comes with quite a bit of
> memory and optimized firmware to reduce headmovement.

That's why I mentioned big iron: I imagine on a high-performance
batch processing system a job would read files, do some crunching,
and write out the result. Then the next job comes in and does the
same, and so on. On a system like that it may make sense to
optimize file placement (disclaimer: I never rode a big iron, I
don't know if they actually do that).

On a system where multiple processes read and write lots of
files, all at the same time, optimization like that is more
or less pointless; FS is optimized for best average access
time instead. I don't think optimizing file layout would make
any difference in this case, so no, the argument doesn't apply
to systems like Linux.

Dima
--
I'm going to exit now since you don't want me to replace the printcap. If you
change your mind later, run                        -- magicfilter config script