Re: Patititioning hard drive

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:14:32 -0600
Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu> wrote:

> When your system switches from reading in a binary from /bin to
> writing a pid file in /var, obviously, there'll be head movement.
> If /bin sits on one end of the disk, and /var on another, there'll
> be more head movement; if the binary and pid file in question live
> right next to each other there'll be less head movement. I don't
> see anything specific to linux kernel in that.

and what if all your /var files are all over yaur big /
partition ( if / is not splited in pieces )  ?
will be a lot of head movement.
you cannot know that all your /var files  will be nearby /bin or
/$whatever files .
anyway i agree that a single drive is a bit of  performance loss.
the major hack that can be done is to put swap partiton at the begining
of drive  (first partiton). The head reads faster from  inner edge.
i am an adept of spliting drive in patitions depending of sistem's job.
this ca save you from a lot of trouble.

--
dgabi