Re: Patititioning hard drive

Cheryl Homiak wrote:

>My new hard drive is a 20gg drive as opposed to my old 2.5gg. I have >read all the information about partitioning. I have decided to make >linux the only OS on this hard drive. Can somebody who has >experience with this size drive tell me if there is major advantage >to breaking up the hard drive into smaller partitions. I d, of >course, intend to have a swap partition and a boot partition in >addition to the main one.

Yes, there are considerable advantages in breaking up your drive into
smaller partitions. One would be relative security of data against
possible file system corruption. Given that the root partition's
filesystem has been corrupted, it is possible to lose all data on
it. By breaking up to partitions, you can minimize data loss (e.g.
if you separate your /home partition from the /, if / gets hit, the
contents of /home are still intact). Another is during filesystem
recovery, it would generally take a shorter time fixing a small
root filesystem as opposed to a very big one.

it will be tedious to implement a partition scheme (especially when
you're using a filesystem != ext2/ext3), but it's well worth it.

I don't know if I'm right, but I think you'll need the separate
boot partition (/boot i think), if lilo can't load to MBR due to
the 1024th cylinder BIOS limitation. So far, I haven't encountered
this (maybe I've got a good BIOS, or maybe because I use grub as
my bootloader). Anyway, implementing separate partitions is really
good when you're using it in a server environment (a small / around
60 to 80 MB; a separate,medium sized /usr partition; another separate
/var partition for your logs, mail, http server; a separate,
relatively big /tmp if you're using apps that make heavy use of
temporary file generation like oracle, and a separate, big,
quota-enabled partition for the users in /home may seem a decent
partition scheme for a multiple -user setup).

Paolo Falcone

btw: I use the same hard disk size for my "woodied/sid-ed" potato
-mixed breed box at home, but using XFS as my filesystems of choice,
while I use ReiserFs for my cache server running Squid.

www.edsamail.com