Re: Patititioning hard drive

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 15:11, Kent West wrote:

> There are two basic reasons for having extra partitions: reliability, and
> security.

The other day I read that it's /not/ recommended to partition a single
disk too much, since the kernel would not handle that well:  it would
read/write the partitions alternating, leading to a lot of unnecessary
head movement and performance degradation.

I'm sort of a control freak too (as far as my computers are concerned)
and have my disk(s) partitioned for years with for /var, /tmp, /, /home.
Now I'm deeply worried when I think of all the performance lost ;o). I
never heard of that kernel problem before, and I don't know if it's
true. Hopefully someone who knows will comments on that. Anyway, a /var
and/or /tmp partition won't probably hurt much, /usr and /usr/lib may be
a different story. OTOH, Debian needs a /big/ /var when upgrading the
dist, and /tmp at times also needs a lot of space (printing big pix,
...), so for a desktop system a 100 MB partition for / and 50 for /boot
with the rest unpartitioned probably is now bad idea either.
--

I did not vote for the Austrian government