Amount of RAM L1 cache on a processor will support

If you put more RAM in a computer system than the caching system
will suppport, the system will run more slowly than it would with
less RAM. IF I understand correctly, the amount of RAM depends on
the amount of tag RAM.

I have 512 MB on my Abit MoBo with a 1GHz Athlon.

How do I determine how much RAM the L1 cache in a 1GHz Athlon will
support?

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I hope this is all of the above.)