Re: Amount of RAM L1 cache on a processor will support

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:17:30PM -0500, David Teague wrote:

| If you put more RAM in a computer system than the caching system
| will suppport, the system will run more slowly than it would with
| less RAM. IF I understand correctly, the amount of RAM depends on
| the amount of tag RAM.
|
| I have 512 MB on my Abit MoBo with a 1GHz Athlon.
|
| How do I determine how much RAM the L1 cache in a 1GHz Athlon will
| support?

According to
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/
            0,,30_118_756_759%5E1151,00.html

(all on one line)

    Cache Architecture: The AMD Athlon processor boasts a 384K total
    full-speed on-chip system cache including 128K L1 cache--four
    times that of Intel's Pentium III processor--and 256K on-chip
    full-speed L2 cache.

There is no limit on the amount of system RAM based on processor
cache.  Certainly when you have many cache misses, you lose
performance, but the whole purpose of cache is to try and guess which
memory you will need next (through some hueristic algorithms) so that
you have a cache hit and don't have to go all the way out to that very
(relatively!) slow memory.

HTH,
-D

--

What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his
sould?  Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?