Re: devfsd and kde

On Monday 10 December 2001 2:06 pm, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:31, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > The reason I need to understand (and what actually triggered me off in
> > this direction in the first place), is that I have a similar problem with
> > my cdroms.  I actually have a ide dvd drive on what previously would have
> > been /dev/hdd, and a cdrom (cd - writer) on a scsi card. ...
>>.... Also I had never managed to get cd
> > writing to work, and had decided to make a push to sort this out.

> No.  Create a file named /etc/devfs/conf.d/mine and put the following in
> it: # create the standard /dev/cdrom symlink
> REGISTER        ^cdroms/cdrom1$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink $devname cdrom
> UNREGISTER      ^cdroms/cdrom1$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink cdrom
> REGISTER        ^cdroms/cdrom0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink $devname dvd
> UNREGISTER      ^cdroms/cdrom0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink dvd

This is what I ended up doing - had to add the permissions line to enable
cd-writing

# AKC 10th Dec 2001
# create the standard symlinks that I use
# First my IDE DVD drive
REGISTER        ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink
$devname dvd
UNREGISTER      ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink dvd
#SCSI CD-R (as CDROM)
REGISTER        scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0/cd CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink
$devname cdrom
UNREGISTER      scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0/cd CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink cdrom
#SCSI CD-R (as CD-R)
REGISTER        scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0/generic CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink
$devname cd-r
UNREGISTER      scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0/generic CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink
cd-r
#Created as CD-R group which I have set up to allow users access to the cd-r
device
REGISTER        scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0/generic PERMISSIONS -1.cd-r 660

> > I have not made a start on understanding my scsi problems - these seem to
> > be multilayered - as far as I can see. I think I need to get the the
> > aic7xxx module set up to load (perhaps alias /dev/somthing  aic7xxx - but
> > what - depends on the usage)
>
> You need the alias for /dev/cdrom resulting in loading the aix7xxx module,
> and if you have SCSI hard drives then they need to have it loaded too.  I
> can't advise more without knowing more about your hardware.

After thinking a little about this then I did this in /etc/modutils

# AKC 10th Dec 2001
#  v1.0 Special alias file

# These seem to be standard modules not covered.
alias net-pf-17	af_packet	#packet filter
alias char-major-6	lp

#NVdriver puts this in aliases - but better in here
alias char-major-195	NVdriver

#define sound card
alias /dev/sound	emu10k1

#define scsi host adapter
alias scsi-hosts	aic7xxx

#logitech joystick (? - not sure if I have right model)
alias /dev/joystick	adi

# Link my dvd drive
alias /dev/dvd	ide-cd

# These two lines are in place because /etc/modutils/1devfsd then maps
# to the actual modules (and calls scsi-hosts - see above)
alias /dev/cdrom	/dev/sr0
alias /dev/cd-r	/dev/sg0

But this depended on the setup already in /etc/modutils/1devfsd - the key
line is alias scsi-hosts aic7xxx

> I expect you'll probably get it all going without more advice from me, if
> so please post to debian-user about how you did it, I think that other
> people will be interested.

Well, I managed to create my first data CD using KreateCD - and then read it
by mounting it on /dev/dvd - with just those two files above created.  I
think to be fair I don't think /dev/cd-r is relevent as KreateCD scans the
SCSI bus itself and works out where the CD is.  I tried a test run using
cdrtoaster but that failed - I think this might be to do with it not
supporting multisession cds

- --

  Alan - alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk